What is it and why do I need it?
One of the most useful tools used to make virtual meetings easy is Zoom. Zoom unifies cloud video conferencing, simple online meetings, and group messaging into one easy-to-use platform. Zoom offers video, audio, and wireless screen-sharing across multiple platforms.
Important message on recording virtual meetings
The use of Zoom and other University electronic services, equipment and systems are subject to Princeton University’s policies, including the Acceptable Use Policy. Pursuant to the Acceptable Use Policy, non-public virtual meetings must not be recorded except when recording is necessary to facilitate University operations and serve institutional needs. For examples of recordings that serve institutional needs, please see the Guidelines for Compliance with the Acceptable Use Policy, under “Limits on Recordings.”
How do I get it?
Zoom is available to anyone with a Princeton NetID and does not require Administrative permissions to install.
You will need the following:
- Device with a good Internet connection (see Bandwidth Requirements, below)
- Headphones or earbuds (optional)
- Microphone (a separate microphone can be better than your device's built-in, if possible)
- Web camera (optional, preferred for face-to-face contact)
To get started:
If you do not already have an account set up, get started here: http://princeton.zoom.us
- Login with your NetID and password. *This will require DUO authentication.
- The first time you use Zoom, you’ll be prompted to run and install the zoom-launcher.
When you receive an invite for a Zoom meeting, you’ll be provided with a link to join the meeting.
- Click the link to run and install the zoom-launcher.
- Click the file to install the launcher.
Upon completion, your meeting should begin.
How do I use it?
Once you're in a Zoom meeting, you can use features like turning your video and microphone settings on and off, inviting other meeting participants, chatting with other meeting participants, recording the meeting, and sharing your screen.