When planning to work from home, you should think about the work resources that you'll need at home and the campus resources to which you'll need access. The types of things we need to do our jobs vary, but there are a few things that are common to all.
To properly equip yourself for remote work, you'll need:
- Internet service
- Computer or laptop (and power adapter)
- Please note that personal devices can be used to connect to the Princeton network but are required to be configured to the standards set forth by the Information Security Office.
- Telephone services
- Webcam or computer webcam for video conferencing (optional)
- Headset or simple earbuds with a mic (as an alternate to your computer speakers)
Options for computers
If you don't already have a work laptop or a home computer that you can use for remote work, please contact your department for assistance. You may also decide to purchase a laptop; recommended models and configurations for both Windows and Mac computers follow.
OIT Technology Loaner Program
The OIT Technology Loaner Program offers a supply of computing technology for loan by faculty or staff who may need a temporary device during computer repair or for remote teaching involving students in isolation. This loaner program is not a substitute for normal departmental computer purchasing for their faculty and staff. We can no longer loan devices for long periods such as an entire semester.
These items are available in this program:
- Windows Laptops (computer repair loan only)
- Mac Laptops (computer repair loan only)
- iPad Pro w/Keyboard stand and Apple pencil (for secondary device to teach students in isolation)
For more information refer to Technology Loaner Program: Technology for remote teaching and computer repairs.